A New Throne for a New Home – Part 2

Tah dah, we finally did it. Now I know that this sounds like a fairly small triumph in the year we have Olympians breaking all manner of records, but nonetheless, it is with great pleasure we’d like to reveal our latest DIY achievement. Our lovely new chair.

Yes, I know what you’re thinking, but you’ve upholstered a chair before. Nothing new here. Yes, that’s technically true, but around this time last year we would have never thought this possible. You see our blog URL is just nine months old this June. It was this time last summer when we stumbled upon the idea of ReMadeIt, and look how far we’ve come. So without further delay I’ll stop gloating and let you know how we did it.

In our last update we spoke about how we had three main things to cover. First up, the right arm was in pretty bad shape with a large crack down the middle. After some careful inspection, it turned out just a little bit of wood glue and some clamping was all we needed. A collective ‘phew’ and we’re on our way to tackling the next thing – a large hole where the cushion straps used to be.

To be honest, I thought ‘d have this done in a flash. I mean, how hard can strapping upholstery webbing to the chair be, right? Well how wrong I was. It turned out that you needed the hands of a five year old to get in between the frame to staple it down. After much cursing and two tea breaks to de-stress it finally came together. Thankfully all I then had to do was paint the chair. The upholstery is Anna’s bag.

 

To re-upholster the chair we adopted the same method used in our previous story – a lovely chair for two. This involves carefully laying out the old fabric pieces and using them as a template for the new fabric. A top tip is to not undercut, you’ll need to do a fair amount of stretching. Better to have too much which you can just trim off afterwards.

We seemed to be sailing through this until the discovery of a very sad looking cushion. It’d clearly had some mileage and perhaps a rather large previous owner. No problem for Anna, who managed to carve a new one with nothing but a square of foam and a very sharp bread knife. Yes a bread knife, in fact my new bread knife which has now been renamed the cushion knife.

 

Finally to finish we have discovered something brilliant, decorative nail strips. Now I know this does not sound that exciting, but with just a few taps of the hammer we were done. Who needs a fiddly trim eh! Anyway, we finished just in time for the new house move and our new throne sits proudly in our new home.

6 thoughts on “A New Throne for a New Home – Part 2”

Leave a Reply