Whilst Chris is definitely the Chef in this partnership, I want my forte to be Baking. So I have challenged myself to bake at least 1 new recipe a month. This is my first; Yummy Chocolate Oreo Cup Cakes. I was inspired by a recipe on goodtoknow, and put my own spin on it. I have to admit they tasted quite good!
Ingredients (makes 12)
For the chocolate cupcakes:
- 100g plain flower
- 20g cocoa powder
- 140g caster sugar
- 1.5tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- ¼tsp of vanilla extract
For the chocolate buttercream frosting:
- 600g icing sugar sifted
- 200g unsalted butter
- 80g cocoa powder
- 100ml whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F) gas 3.
- Put flour, cocoa, sugar and baking powder, salt and butter in a free-standing mixer with paddle attachment. Mix together until you have a sandy consistency. I don’t own a mixer, but managed to mix the ingredients with my hands, it produced the same results.
- Whisk milk, egg and vanilla in a jug. Slowly pour half into the mixture, beat to combine and then turn the mixer up to high speed to get rid of any lumps. Again, if like me you don’t own a mixer you can use a wooden mixing spoon. You just need to be ready for a sore arm…
- Turn the mixer down to a slower speed and pour in the remaining mixture. Continue to mix for a couple of mins. Do not over mix.
- Spoon mixture into the 12 cases and cook for 20 mins.
- For the chocolate buttercream: Beat icing sugar, butter and cocoa powder together in a free-standing mixer on a medium speed. Turn down to a low speed and add milk gradually, once mixed turn up to a high speed again and beat for approx 5 mins and mixture is light and fluffy. This was a bit harder to achieve by hand, but through sheer determination I ended up with some gorgeous, and am proud to say, fluffy buttercream icing.
- Use a piping bag and metal nozzle to pipe onto top of cooled cupcakes.
- Decorate with double chocolate Oreo’s or with whatever you fancy.